Monday, December 15, 2008

Craft Shows - Year in Review (or 5 months in review)


Sitting at a craft show is pretty boring half the time, but is also very entertaining.



What I observed

* A group of older women walking around in clogging shoes, short swirly skirts will make you chuckle. I mean, good for them for being active, and doing something they love, but seriously? They look like old cheerleaders wanting to relive the glory days with their pantyhose on and ribbons in their hair. Maybe if their skirts weren't so short?

* "Oh my gosh, that is so cute." "Look at this!!!" "Your prices are so good!" "So adorable." "Would you look at this?" "What a neat idea." "That is so pretty." "Look at these aren't they gorgeous." "I love that." "You do such nice work." "Adorable." "What a good idea!" These and other such comments may not lead to a sale, and will eventually make you want to throw up.

* People think that I am deaf. Hello! I can totally hear you whispering to each other!!! No, those are not too expensive, and yes it is a good idea, you can make it at home, but the chances are you won't, so just buy it here!

What I learned

* Other vendors sales pitches. I can now sell you jewelery made in Mexico, painted gourds, sheep cheese, or tell you about wood turning.

* To be more confident

* There are six different types of shoppers at craft shows;

1. Zombies. They walk by, and I am not sure if they are even aware that they are at a craft show. They are there just moving with the flow, glazed look over their eyes.

2. Lookers. Or should I say glancers. They glance at your booth, barely, while walking by. I don't get offended, they do it to everyone.

3. Be Backers. "Oh, I love this, will you be here all day?" "Will you be here tomorrow?" "I need to go get my money." "I'LL BE BACK." Sure you will... Occassionally they do come back, but I do not hold my breath.

4. Bargainers. "Would you take any less for this quilt?" My reply: "No, I am practically giving it away as it is." Or, not meant to be heard, "These are so expensive." My reply: "Yeah, they weren't made in China." That always causes a little bit of an uncomfortable smile from the shopper, but hey, it's the truth. One lady I said that to, laughed and was like, "true," and bought some hair bows.

5. Copy Catters. Occassionally, I could fall into this category I guess, but I always take an idea and change it to be my own. But, I love copy catters. Sometimes they pull out the camera, take a picture and then walk away very quickly. Other times, it goes like this; "how did you make this?" And some people want the step by step instructions. And, really it's okay, except if next year I see them, and they are set up next to me selling my knock offs, it may be a different story. One lady was at least honest about it, she was like, "yeah, I used to sell jewelery and I have been looking for something different, these are great ideas, I could totally do this. " Honestly, it bugs me a little, but then I remember that they don't get the satisfaction of coming up with the idea themselves. No one can copy that.
6. Buyers. These are my favorite. I love the buyers!

* When telling people how you did at a craft show there are two different types of people.
There is one group of people, when you tell them how you did answer automatically, "that is so great, " "way to go!" "Awesome!" etc.

Then the other group of people when you tell them how you did answer automatically with, "is that gross or net?" "Before or after expenses?"

Just an interesting observation...

What I overcame (an ongoing process)

* Fear of failure
* The nagging feeling that I can't do things exactly how I want to, not enough time

* The desire to crawl into bed and give up

* Insecurities that people won't like my stuff



What I endured

* Sleepless Nights

* Injuries to my fingers from pins, pliers, hot glue, jump rings, and other such on the job hazards

* Sewing machine issues, like picks, broken needles, etc.

* A messy house

* Cold toes


What I forgot

* Water
* Sunglasses
* Sunblock
* Water
* Gloves
* A chair
* Bags
* Signage
* Water

Let's just say going to bed at 2 am the night before a craft show ensures you will forget something.

What I am Thankful for

* Dad for helping me set up, for sitting at the booths, for building my displays, for watching my kids, for being the best dad ever, etc., etc.

* Anyone that has helped watch my kids so I can work and during craft shows
* John for letting crafts pretty much make a mess all over the house, for some reason it can't stay in one room... I'll do better next year. For helping make hair bows, and cutting banners, for unloading the car, for painting... maybe you will get a raise next year...

* Talents

* Success!!

Craft Show Season 2009- BRING IT ON!

4 comments:

becky said...

I hope I fall into the zombie/buyer category, but only because it would be cool to be a bit undead.

You rock! I'm super proud of you (at what point does saying this make me sound old? But then I started with "you rock" and that's young sounding, right? This whole conversation with myself is telling, isn't it?).

Can't wait to see you and bask in your crafting glow.

Holly said...

you are so funny. and thank you.

Heather said...

I can't believe that people would have the nerve to take photos!

Sarah said...

after reading that it sounds like craft shows are a lot of work. but if i ever do one, i'll get all the tips from you.

i LOVED reading about all your observations. how funny. and I bet it's so true.

BTW, I would be the one to say "way to go!" not "was that gross or net?"